Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Michelle's Hobbies

Sewing and craft making have always been hobbies of mine. I have both of my parents to thank for that!

Mom taught me all there was to know about how to be a homemaker, everything from cooking to craft making. She has always been so creative
. Back when I was growing up it was much too expensive to buy clothes. Most of my clothes were hand me downs. Imagine having six sisters and how worn in your clothes might have been by the time it reached you (the sixth child.) In order to keep up with the trend, Mom made most of our clothes. Some of my favorite items were cropped pants (what we call now capri's) and special occasion dresses. One dress I remember most was worn in my senior pictures. Rather than describing it to you, I've attached a picture below. Don't let the curly hair shock you! Yes, that's really me! Spiral permed hair and thick gold necklaces were the trend during the early to mid-nineties. I should not have to tell you that if you were living during those years! I was and still am so proud to have my mom in my life!

My father, who passed away 4 years ago this coming May, was a big inspiration to me. He was the kind of person anyone would have wanted to be around. He had a great sense of humor and was someone who always did things for himself. He could make just about anything he put his mind to. One handmade item I have to remember him by would be a carousel I have placed in my kitchen pantry. About 10 years ago, I enjoyed cake decorating. My father thought he would com
e up with something special so I could decorate cakes more quickly. He never told me about this idea until it was completed. I thought that was so sweet! Cakes are a thing of my past and I have not made a cake in years. I thought I might share some of my favorites. The first cake (pictured on left) was made for my sister Kim and her husband Chris on their wedding day. The second picture (pictured on right) were cupcakes and a cake made for my son Will on his first birthday.

Anyhow, after I stopped making cakes I decided I had to use the carousel for something else. I used it to store baby food jars for my son Will. I am now using it for Shelby. Little did I or my father know it would be something I could use for my children, the grandchildren he never had a chance to meet.

Shortly after having my first born child, Will, I had a passion for embroidery. It was in January 2006 that I purchased my first embroidery machine. Who would have ever thought this was something you could do right from your own home! I was certain I could do it! I saved up all the money I had from Christmas, my birthday, and then some. I was so excited! I was going to make fun items for my son and any future children, and especially baby shower gifts for friends and family. My husband thought I was crazy for wanting one so badly. Little did he or I know it would pay for itself in the first year of owning it!


So, you're probably wondering what kind of work I've been doing for the last 4 years. I do everything from bibs, burp clothes, paci clips, baby shoes, children's clothing, button covers for hair accessories, etc., etc.
Clothing








My children are my models! They are great!



Decorative Kiddie Cups and Plates

Baby Accessories


Hair Accessories





0 comments: