Monday, July 13, 2009

Love for Photography

Photography has always been one of my favorite hobbies. At one point in my life I even wanted to start up my own photography business. I especially love taking photographs of my children! They aren't always the best subjects when it comes to keeping them still. I do get a lot of good candid shots from them though.

So just a little background information about me and how I came to love photography. In 1996 I started taking phot
ography classes at the University of Kentucky. I liked working with many of forms of art including, ceramics, painting, and drawing. I mostly enjoyed photography.

Developing both film and photographic prints were challenging at times, but I had a lot of fun.
I learned how to utilize a camera in manual mode, develop both film and prints, along with constructing my own camera out of home bought materials! I also learned how to develop on fabric. I made a family quilt with all I had learned (something I still need to finish sewing). I had a lot of fun with it and spent many late nights in the darkroom. I could not tell you how much paper I wasted trying to get the perfect photo! Developing film and prints requires a lot of patience and time. So imagine how frustrating a hobby like this can be sometimes.

In 1998, my career plans were put on hold. I got a job at a local printing company working as a technical support representative. It was a great part-time job for a college student, and the pay was great. I never thought I would build a career working there though.
Six months later, I was still working at the same printing company and I graduated from the University with a bachelors degree in Fine Arts with an emphasis on photography and graphic design.

So where am I going with this....

The other day I stumbled upon a really awesome photo enhancement program called Adobe Photoshop Lighthouse. I was able to find a free 30 day trial on the internet. So of course I downloaded it on to my computer.
I've been testing it out for a few days. I am totally addicted!! I have used many other enhancement programs, such as Adobe Photoshop and Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8, but nothing like Adobe's Lighthouse version. If you know what you are doing, the results are endless. Turning ordinary photos into the perfect photo is just a clicks away!

I still have a lot more to learn, but here are my first few tries.




Before / After
The photo on the far left is the original photograph. The one in the middle was done using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (I adjusted the auto white balance, and auto tone. I also brought more focus to her face). The photo on the right was done using Jasc Paint Shop Pro (I enhanced her eyes, making them pop out more).



Before / After


Before / After

0 comments: