Friday, March 26, 2010

One Sick Week

On Sunday after church the kids and I went to a birthday party KC's gymnastics. Everyone had a blast. Will and Shelby met several new friends. I think Will's favorite spot was the foam pit. Shelby got a kick out of everything! Little did I know this was the last of our energy for the rest of the week.




Just one day later Shelby got sick. I was totally caught off guard. This was her first virus ever. It was Monday night and she had just fallen fast asleep. About 30 minutes later I heard her crying like she had never cried before, practically screaming. I went straight to her room to see what was the matter. I found her vomiting all over herself and her bed (I should tell you this girl is devastated when she gets dirty. She gets so torn up about it. She will cry and cry until you console and tell her it is going to be alright). Her vomiting lasted for 3 straight hours. About 5 loads of laundry and 5 hours later, she and mommy were finally back asleep.

It was obvious this virus was contagious and someone else was bound to get it. It was inevitable! Unfortunately, on the night Shelby got sick, she and Will had taken a bath together. Had I known she was going to be sick, I would have bathed them separately. I had hoped and prayed neither Will nor I would get whatever it was Shelby had. Cleaning up after someone who is totally dependent on you is far from easy. I did all I could to keep the house sanitized. I went through an entire can of Lysol in less than 3 days!

It was Thursday morning around 5am that the early bird came into my room. Will loves getting up early. I let him sit on my bed and watch cartoons. I had just fallen back asleep, and then I heard the sound of someone vomiting. I had hoped it was a dream. YIKES!! I jumped out of bed and quickly carried Will into the bathroom. He had vomited all over himself and on my bed. Here I was again, washing loads and loads of laundry. At this point, I thought this week would never end! Thank goodness his vomiting only lasted a few minutes.

So here I was with two sick little children. Blake was away on business and there was no way we were leaving the house! I could not stomach taking two sick children to the doctor, particularly in their condition. I knew they would just tell me it's a virus and a virus has to run its course. I didn't want any of my family around as I knew they would get it too.

On Thursday morning Shelby had fever. I thought she might have an ear infection.
I then remembered her touching the side of her head a few days before. She acted as though it hurt to rest her head on my shoulder. Later that afternoon God came to my rescue! A family friend who is a doctor in town said he would stop by the house on his way home. Wow! Yes, you heard it right, he made a house call! These kinds of things are seen on the Little House on the Prairie. The doctor checked both Will and Shelby. He found infection in both of Shelby's ears. He was kind enough to call her in a prescription. I was so relieved.

It's now the end of a very long week. Will and Shelby seem to be doing much better. The virus is slowly moving out of Shelby's system, and Will seems to be in the clear. I somehow made it through the week with no illness, even after cleaning up all the yuck! However, I was very exhausted. Thank goodness Daddy returned home on Friday!


Even on her worst day, she still had a grin on her face! Is she precious or what??!!


Shelby loves bath time. More than you'll ever know!


Finally getting some hair


Shelby loves water. I wish you could see how excited she gets after I've lathered up her hair. She knows it's time to get water poured on her head.


Everyday I see how much she wants to be like Bubby. She insists on brushing her teeth herself. Here she stands watching herself closely in the mirror.


Turning the lights off and on seem to be a fun game. Notice how she's staring straight ahead! She is watching herself in the mirror again.


She's been picking through Bubby's hat drawer! Mommy's first thought was, "Is it bed time yet?"


0 comments: